Read about:

Sunday 30 June 2013

Updated: Common's Creperie

Recently, I've finally had the opportunity to visit Common's Creperie, and decided that I would do a proper review, having visited only recently. Because this review is only based on one visit-as opposed to the several I had made a few years ago-I've decided to keep the original review below. I was very excited to finally get the opportunity to head out to Common's, having tried multiple times last year to do so, and even brought a family member along with me. The location and décor of the restaurant make for a nice spot to sit and have a relaxing lunch or dessert. The menu consists of crêpes, sandwhiches, and a variety of desserts. Savoury crêpes are paired up with soup (carrot ginger, curry squash, or soup of the day) or salad, and run between 11 and 13 dollars each (when ordered in the pre-made combinations). I chose the squash soup with a crêpe with smoked salmon, lettuce, sun-dried tomatoes and hollandaise sauce. The soup was very good-flavourful, with the curry nicely complimenting the squash rather than overpowering it. The crêpe, however, was somewhat disappointing-it didn't seem freshly made, there was far too much lettuce spilling everywhere, and the hollandaise sauce had no flavour to it. Overall, it was quite the let-down, and I decided not to get a take-out dessert as I had planned. I was torn while leaving. On the one hand, I had had some great crêpes there in the past, and knew that perhaps I didn't order the right one. At the same time, I felt that the crêpe I did have did not live up to the expectations I had developed. While I would no longer consider this my favourite restaurant in the Saint John area, I would still recommend it, and hope (and expect) that my next visit there will put it back to the top of my list.
My Original Review: I've been hesitating about reviewing this restaurant for a few weeks now, for one simple reason: I really desperately want an excuse to go back there. Common's is a real gem. While working in the Rothesay area last year, we drove up and down Hampton Road, looking for something a little less mass-produced for lunch, and spotted this cute little building on the edge of a park. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Although decor isn't usually something that matters so much to me, this place merits a note- the restaurant is nicely decorated, with water being served in arts little glass pitchers, and a nice view of the commons. There's a good menu selection, and their soup and crêpe combos are what we decided on. Unfortunately, as I haven't been back this year (yet), I don't quite remember the names of what we chose, but everything we tried here was excellent. What's really nice is the combination of crêpe and soup (I chose carrot and ginger, and another option was available as well). Working on the road, it's not often that I get to have a lunch that actually leaves me feeling really healthy. We came back a few more times in a short period- it was that good- to try the desert crêpes. Again, although I can't recall the name of what I tried, it combined toffee and chocolate and was absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, their hours are a little limited Monday and Tuesday, which I learned the hard way- by making time both days to go. I haven't gotten to head to Common's this year, and I don't know if I will, but I sure hope I do, because it's one of my favourite places to eat in all of New Brunswick. Common's Creperie on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment