Read about:

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Dan's Ice Cream

Sometimes while you're traveling, you get sick of eating hamburgers and french fries, and just want something that looks like it may have some nutritional value to it. Although you'd seldom think to look for that nutritional something at an old-fashioned ice cream bar by the highway, passing Dan's, in Barrington NS by would be your loss, without a doubt. I understand any skepticism. When I saw the place, I really just wanted to try the ice cream, but we were looking for lunch, so I had to get something substantial in my stomach first. Image, then, my surprise when the menu had no hamburgers, but instead wraps, salads, quesadillas, rice bowls, and a variety of subs and sandwiches. I chose the quesadilla and salad, while my coworker grabbed just a salad; both of us were given a menu of various fruits and vegetable toppings, including such things as grapes and spinach, and a list of home made dressings for the salads. The meals were both incredible- great tasting, under 8 dollars, and, most importantly, they left you feeling ready for the day, not full of grease. After lunch,I tried a banana split- although not the old fashioned hard ice cream version my parents rave about, it was generously topped with delicious flavours of my choosing. I was so impressed that I returned on a later trip for a cookie ice cream sandwich- delicious fresh tasting cookies and a generous amount of ice cream, and just shy of two dollars. Easily one of the best places to grab a treat in the province! I also need to saw a word about the staff, and the atmosphere. The staff were so friendly; after spending a few minutes trying to pick what I wanted, I stood in line. Another cashier opened and a man came in the door and went right up to her. She clearly didn't notice I was there first, but when she did, politely told the man that I was and asked if he would mind if I ordered first. This very much impressed me- it was the perfect way to deal with the situation, and not something you see very often (I've had many cashiers serve people who've cut in front of me before). All of the staff were friendly and helpful. The vibe was also really great- retro style, with a very fun mix of current and classic hits. I can't say enough good things about this place. I would highly, highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment