Read about:

Saturday 20 July 2013

Seoul Food

A few years ago, I found myself spending a couple of weeks in PEI. After a little while, we were looking for something different from the burger-pizza routine, and spotted this little place alongside of the main road in Charlottetown. Seoul Food was my first introduction to Korean food in Canada (I had had Korean BBQ previously in Asia), and so neither I nor my friend really knew what to order. We both grabbed bulgogi with rice. I can distinctly remember feeling that the food was fantastic, but way too small of a portion for the price. Fast forward to this year. I've had a good amount of Korean food, and was anxious to see how I felt about the place now. A few years later, Seoul food is still a very clean, well decorated establishment with friendly and helpful staff. The menu prices no longer seemed high to me- for Korean food, they're relatively cheap. This time, I ordered my favourite dish- bibimbap- and my friend ordered gimbap. The first thing I noticed was that the food was spicier than I'm used to. I've had a lot of Kimchi with little to no spice in it, and this place certainly does not fall into that category. There was also a very generous amount of hot sauce in the bulgogi- I removed as much as I could before mixing the food, and still found it too spicy. Now, I'm going to admit that I'm a bit of a wimp for spice, and so I'm sure that the amount given was probably actually pretty typical for Korean food. However, I would have appreciated had the sauce been on the side, or put on in a way easier to remove. The food itself was actually excellent, very flavourful, both dishes. The seaweed on the gimbap and the beef in the bibimbap were particularly high quality. Overall, the food is good, and the prices reasonable for Korean food. It would be nice if they asked how spicy you wanted, or made it easier to remove the spicy sauce, but don't let that stop you- the food is definitely worth a try. Also, I have to give them big props for the pun- that's what drew me in in the first place! Seoul Food on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment